Temp Senior Exec Engineer - Climate Change (5yrs)
FINGAL COUNTY COUNCIL
COMHAIRLE CONTAE FHINE GALL
TEMPORARY SENIOR EXECUTIVE ENGINEER– CLIMATE CHANGE
(5 YEAR CONTRACT)
Each candidate must be of good character.
Candidates shall be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
3. EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ETC.
(a) hold an honours degree (level 8 in the National Framework of Qualifications) in Engineering
(b) have at least seven years satisfactory relevant experience of engineering work
(c) possess a high standard of technical training and experience
(d) possess a high standard of administrative and management experience and
(e) have satisfactory knowledge of public service organisation.
(f) can demonstrate proven experience in project management at a leadership level, preferably in a multi-disciplinary environment
(g) possess good analytical, communication and facilitation skills
(h) Demonstrate a good understanding of climate change adaptation and mitigation challenges relevant to local authority functions in particular.
FINGAL COUNTY COUNCIL
COMHAIRLE CONTAE FHINE GALL
TEMPORARY SENIOR EXECUTIVE ENGINEER –
CLIMATE CHANGE (5 YEAR CONTRACT)
PARTICULARS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. The post is a temporary fixed term contract of five years duration. Persons who become pensionable employees of a Local Authority who are liable to pay the Class A rate of PRSI contribution will be required in respect of their superannuation to contribute to the Local Authority at the rate of 1.5% of their pensionable remuneration plus 3.5% of net pensionable remuneration (i.e. pensionable remuneration less twice the annual rate of social insurance old age contributory pension payable at the maximum rate to a person with no adult dependent or qualified children).
Persons who become pensionable employees of a Local Authority who are liable to pay the Class D rate of PRSI contribution will be required in respect of their superannuation to contribute to the Local Authority at the rate of 5% of their pensionable remuneration.
All persons who become pensionable employees of a Local Authority will be required in respect of the Local Government (Spouses and Children’s Contributory Pension) Scheme to contribute to the Local Authority at the rate of 1.5% of their pensionable remuneration in accordance with the terms of the Scheme.
Where persons who are not already employees of a Local Authority are employed, the following provisions shall apply:
(a) there shall be a period after such employment take effect during which such persons shall hold such employment on probation,
(b) such period shall be one year but the Chief Executive may at his or her discretion extend such period,
(c) such persons shall cease to hold employment at the end of the period of probation unless during such period the Chief Executive has certified that the service of such persons is satisfactory.
€63,276 - €76, 342 per annum.
Persons who are not serving local authority employees on or after 1st January, 2011 will be based on the minimum of the scale.
Holders of the post shall pay to the local authority any fees or other monies (other than their inclusive salary) payable to or received by them by virtue of their post or in respect of any services which they are required by or under any enactment to perform.
The duties shall be such as may be assigned to the employee from time to time by the Local Authority and shall include the duty of deputising for other employees of the Local Authority, when required, and such duties as may be assigned to them in relation to the area of any other Local Authority. The overall purpose of the post is to co-ordinate, manage and develop Fingal County Council’s response to the challenges of climate change mitigation and adaptation. In particular the duties will include:
• Managing the development of the Fingal Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Plan as part of an initiative for the four Dublin Local Authorities, as set out in A Strategy Towards Climate Change Action Plans for the Dublin Local Authorities.
• Managing and co-ordinating the implementation of the Fingal Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Plans. This will include developing and implementing relevant projects and identifying additional sources of external funding re same.
• Establishing good working relationships with relevant stakeholders, internal and external eg. Government Agencies, other public authorities and the Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy.
• Promoting and supporting a greater understanding of climate change issues in the general community incl. supporting relevant community initiatives and public outreach programmes.
• Such other duties as may be assigned from time to time
For the purpose of satisfying the requirement as to health it will be necessary for successful candidates, before they are employed, to undergo a medical examination by a qualified medical practitioner to be nominated by the Local Authority.
6. RETIREMENT AGE
Dependent on relevant Pension Scheme.
A local authority may decide, by reason of the number of persons seeking admission to a competition, to carry out a short-listing procedure. The number of persons to be invited, in these circumstances, to interview shall be determined by the local authority from time to time, having regard to the likely number of vacancies to be filled.
Selection will be by means of an interview conducted by or on behalf of the local authority. Candidates will be required to pay any expenses incurred by them in attending the interview.
Panels may be formed on the basis of such interviews. Candidates whose names are on a panel and who satisfy the local authority that they possess the qualification declared for the post and that they are otherwise suitable for appointment may, within the life of the panel, be appointed as appropriate vacancies arise.
The local authority shall require a person to whom an appointment is offered to take up such appointment within a period of not more than one month and if he or she fails to take up the appointment within such period or such longer period as the local authority in its absolute discretion may determine, the local authority shall not appoint the person.
Request application form
Fingal County Council
Main Street, Swords